Vijaywada Hospital Fire - COVID-19 Patient Helps Rescuers Save Lives
The quick thinking of a COVID-19 patient under treatment at the Swarna Palace Hotel centre that helped the fire department respond quickly when the building went up in flames, as per a report in Deccan Chronicle.?
It broke out early on August 9. Chowdavarapu Pawan Sai Kishan woke up to see the flames in his room. He tried to escape but could not due to the smoke. Nonetheless, he knew the other patients would also be at risk so he broke a window open and called the fire department and police with his cell phone.?
They responded quickly and rescued him along with 18 other patients and shifted them to a hospital.?
“I could not breathe. The thick smoke and flames made it impossible for me to use the stairs," said Pawan.?
“I called the fire service and the police on my mobile. Fortunately the fire department, police and other officials responded swiftly. They immediately sent up a tall ladder which helped me to get down. I was shifted to another hospital. I salute the fire and police department and other officials for saving my life and that of other patients," he added.?
More than 10 people died and at least were 30 injured in the blazes.??